UI Design Lead
Package: DOE + profit share + benefits
Hours: We’re flexible for the right person, full time, part time, job share etc.
Travel technology is in our blood
At Holiday Extras we believe time is precious, and holidays are some of the most precious times we have. So it’s fitting our purpose and promise to our customers is less hassle, more holiday.
We’re a fast-moving travel technology business, obsessed with making it easy for customers to make the most of their trip. With over 4 million bookings a year we are one of the UK’s most innovative travel companies and continue to grow fast and expand our offering as a trips-based business.
We’re the UK market leader in travel ancillaries; once you have booked a flight and accommodation, we take care of the rest. That includes airport hotels, insurance, airport parking, lounges, foreign currency, car hire, resort transfers and attractions. Almost all of our business is conducted online, either direct through our own website and app or through our network of partners that include the major travel retailers, airlines and tour operators.
We are based in our custom-built Wave and Reef campuses, just 5 minutes from the beach in Hythe, Kent, less than an hour from London. In total we have more than 130 people working on our product development including engineers, product managers, testers, and designers.
How you can make a difference
As UI Design Lead, you will be leading the Design function, inspiring and mentoring the team whilst playing a hands-on role yourself. Producing high quality interfaces and prototypes with excellent attention to detail, quickly and effectively.
You will have an eye on design trends and consider the future of the Holiday Extras customer experience, amplified through design.
You will be responsible for the overall UI experience across our websites, apps and supporting digital channels. You will be passionate for ideating, designing and executing new experiences in a fast-paced environment, closely working with our in-house Brand agency to ensure designs are on point and consistent
You will be interfacing with product managers, engineers, agile teams and senior stakeholders within the business.
In this role you will be expected to deliver high value design output, leadership and drive high performance from the team - leading by example, with no ego in regard to product and design
- Creativity - an impressive portfolio demonstrating best-practice design solutions across a range of complex projects, and exceptional visual polish – from wireframes to high-fidelity prototypes. Exceptional knowledge and experience of the full range of digital design, its implementation and development.
- Strategic thinking - ability to think strategically, structure your thinking and drive your team strategy.
- Customer experience - have a well honed sense for what makes a great customer experience.
- Leadership skills - ability to set out the development direction. Able to edit the work of, and inspire, train and coach other designers.
- Communication - a confident communicator, with high energy and an ability to inspire. Experience of presenting clear written and oral communication to different audiences including senior stakeholders. Be fluent in business, technical and design languages.
- Product systems - a well-rounded knowledge of product systems, design thinking, and what’s possible to execute in code.
- Collaboration - facilitate, participate in and lead meetings effectively. Involve your team in resolving issues. Grow relationships with other areas of the business.
- Execution - drive execution by making fast paced decisions which do not impact product quality. Be self-assured, driven, and responsible for your decisions.
- Commercial/business acumen - understand the commercial goals of the business. And great judgement about where to spend yours and the teams time and effort.
- Growth mindset - spot new opportunities across the HX business. Ability to deliver products which play to these opportunities.
- Resilience - be undeterred in striving for excellence in design, but with a pragmatic and flexible approach
- Tools - Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator), Sketch (essential) and InVision Studio / Adobe XD (desirable), InVision and other prominent prototyping tools. HTML and front end coding experience.
- Must have a minimum of 3 years experience shipping customer-facing, end-to-end product design in an agile environment, across platforms (web, iOS, Android, email).
Join us on our journey for the career trip of a lifetime.
We’re an ambitious company, 35 years young with huge growth plans. You’ll feel our energy and enthusiasm from day one. We have 5 core values; Be One Team, Be Pioneering In Spirit, Be At The Helm, Be Courageous and Be The Best Version of You. We offer a huge range of benefits as well as a competitive salary.
Please send your CV, cover letter and your portfolio as part of your application.
Applications close Wednesday 15th May 2019.